Learning New Technologies
Is distance spiritual direction right for your practice? Can you reach people who wouldn’t have access to a spiritual director any other way?
The answer to the first question isn’t an automatic “yes”, even though “yes” is definitely the answer to the second question. There are a lot of different factors that influence a decision to become a director who meets with people at a distance using Skype(tm) technologies. A few questions to spend some time with as you consider whether or not you want to offer this type of direction:
- Are you able to be patient and attentive when someone isn’t in the room?
- Do you have a high-speed internet connection or are you willing to get one?
- What are your perceptions of internet technology and social media?
- How much of your practice relies on physical cues and interactions?
- Is God calling you to redeem your own use of technology?
- Are you open to where He might be leading you in this area?
- Do you want your practice to expand at this moment?